The Bougainvillea Hideaway

Enter a hollow of leaves and fuchsia flowers. Random thoughts litter the floor like a bed of crushed petals.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Ordinary expectations

Never make a yellow jacket or its friends angry. Especially if they make their nest near your front door in August. They might follow you into the house with a vengeance.

Yup.

After a day of hauling and organizing and doing loads of laundry a family just might want to hang out on the porch in the early evening and get a fire going in the outdoor fireplace. They might even want some dinner. At least we do.

A pretty ordinary expectation, wouldn't you say?

And this time I thought I'd be quick about getting everything from inside the house to the outside so that I could watch Andy start the fire. Hot dogs. Check. Buns. Check. Ketchup. Mustard. Soda. Ice. Peppercinis (ok, that one's a bit odd). Checkity-checkity-darnfrikkety-check! :)

"Grab a saw from the tool box." Aye! That's easy. Checkity!

All cool.

I walk back into the house to grab something else we needed.

Then, "Get in the fucking house now! AAAAAHHggghHHH! (more slightly toned down screams)Kids, get in the house NOW!!!"

Snakes? Bear? Tons of rabid furry creatures trying to get at the kids' legs? (Because I had been inside for the attempted sawing of wood, I had NO idea what was going on.)

My kids are screaming as they enter the house (but not really understanding what is going on). Andy is screaming and he has about four pairs of wildly flailing arms.
"Get them off! The bees. Get them off!"

They (we finally find out they might be yellow jackets) were in his hair and stinging him still. He had me check his hair to make sure there weren't any more and then he promptly ran into the shower. And a flyswatter was still needed after that!

Way to go, you fricken, agitated creatures! Sting my husband numerous times, make my kids cry and ruin our nice evening. Hmmmph! We'll show you who's boss!

So we did. Today we had our wonderous exterminator friend swing by. G'bye, my friends!

I did learn quite a bit about them though. Apparently, they were using an old log as a doorway to their underground nest. Around this time of year there might be about 10,000 of them or so. We're supposed to wait until tomorrow night to nudge the log to see if they're gone. It kind of makes me want to unearth a bit of their nest just to get a closer look at it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home